Thursday 13 October 2011

Find 10 idioms, give the meaning and create 2 sentences on each idiom.
 
1)    “Black Sheep Of The Family”
Meaning: Someone that always gets blamed when problem occur.
Sentence 1: Ramli is a “black sheep of the family” because he is the youngest among his sibling.
Sentence 2: Because of Zul small body, he always became a “black sheep” in the hostel.
 
2)    “Hat Trick”
Meaning: Someone who is scoring three goals in one game (soccer/football).
Sentence 1: Nolan score a “hat trick” when Newcastle United were entertaining Tottenham.
Sentence 2: Thierry Henry got his first “hat trick” when he is move to Arsenal fc.
 
3)    “When Pigs Fly”
Meaning: Something that never happen.
Sentence 1: Andy want an A in English subject but it’s like “waiting pigs to fly” because he didn't want to study at all.
Sentence 2: I want my plant to grow up but my mom said I’m just “waiting pigs to fly” because I’m never watering them.
 
4)    “Sick As A Dog”
Meaning: Become very sick.
Sentence 1: Marcus always gets “sick as a dog” when it’s time for work.
Sentence 2: My younger brother became “sick as a dog” when mother asking for a help.
 
5)    “Finger Licking Good”
Meaning: Very delicious meal or food.
Sentence 1: Not all fast food is a “finger licking good”.
Sentence 2: My mother cook is always a “finger licking good” for me.
 
6)    “High Five”
Meaning: Slapping each other palm above their head.
Sentence 1: A “high five” always become a sign of success.
Sentence 2: We give each other a “high five” when our group were announced as the winner.
 
7)    “A Piece Of Cake”
Meaning: Something that very easy.
Sentence 1: All times table is like “a piece of cake” for Adi Putra.
Sentence 2: It’s like “a piece of cake” to solve a crossword.
 
8)    “On The Same Page”
Meaning: Many people agree with the same thing.
Sentence 1: We always “on the same page” when it’s about money.
Sentence 2: All my siblings were “on the same page” when deciding our vacation places.
 
9)    “Smell A Rat”
Meaning: You know who is betraying you or your group.
Sentence 1: I always “smell a rat” when we do a group assignment.
Sentence 2: Our football coach always said he can “smell a rat” to make us play as a group.
 
10) “Pass The Buck”
Meaning: Avoid a responsibility by passing it to other people.
Sentence 1: My group leaders always “pass the buck” when there is work that must be done.
Sentence 2: My brothers always “pass the buck” to me when mom asks him to do something.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment